Digital Product Manager - Sporting News
- Department: Technology
- Reports to: Delivery Manager
- Location: UK office or Remote
- Employment type: Full time
- Line Management Responsibility: No
ABOUT SPORTING NEWS, THE COMPANY
The underlying ethos of Sporting News is positivity and passion for sports. To help drive those tenets, we have three core objectives:
- Create the best media experience for sports fans. Wherever you are in the world, whatever device you choose, we want Sporting News to offer the best fan experience possible through the creation of quality, interesting content.
- Develop a work experience that people want to be part of. We want to identify talented, motivated staff who work hard, enjoy their job, support their team… and have fun while doing it.
- Build a fantastic, growing business. We want to deliver for our brand and our partners while achieving our commercial goals, ultimately using our scale for good.
At Sporting News, we celebrate the diversity of our employees and our leadership. Sporting News is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
ABOUT SPORTING NEWS, THE BRAND
One of the world’s most iconic sports brands, The Sporting News was founded in 1886 as a weekly U.S. newspaper. Later transitioning to a magazine, it became the dominant sports publication, acquiring nicknames like "The Nation's Oldest & Finest Sports Paper" and "The Bible of Baseball."
Sporting News is now a dynamic digital publisher offering a trusted perspective across multiple sports and topics all over the world. It features localised editions in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, U.K., Australia, India, Japan, Spain, and Argentina, with more territories and languages across the world.
TIMELESS & CRAFTED. No publisher has the heritage of The Sporting News (TSN). Established in 1886, it became the essential source for baseball and boxing content.
IMAGINATIVE & SCALABLE. Fast forward to today, TSN now covers all major sports worldwide with 15 local editions, leveraging a global network that understands local market nuance.
RELIABLE & RELATABLE. With a historic, trusted brand and unprecedented local media knowledge, TSN will be the leading international sports portal for right holders, gaming partners, advertisers, broadcasters ... and most importantly, fans.
Acquired by an international investment group in 2021 with deep sports, media and gaming experience, TSN is poised to become the first truly global digital sports media platform business.
ABOUT YOUR NEW ROLE
Sporting News is growing and is searching for a Product Manager to help drive the strategy and development of both the website and native apps.
Sporting News, a sports media publication that originated in the United States in 1886, already has editions in 15 regions and in 5 languages. In 2023, we’re excited to expand our international footprint and digital offering.
We are looking for a motivated and driven Product Manager who will be able to strategise and work with globally-distributed internal and external stakeholders to make Sporting News become the leading global digital sports destination with world-class product experiences for the modern sports fan.
This high-profile role will have exposure to all aspects of the business, from the tactical to the strategic. Your innate creativity combined with your product management experience and results orientation will enable the business to drive timely product and market decisions that will be crucial to achieving our goals. Over time you will set the bar for how we imagine, build and deliver great products.
If you are looking to make your mark on a global product with a team of talented, driven, and ambitious people, now’s the time to raise your hand!
This permanent position can be based in our office in Vauxhall, London, or on a flexible, hybrid, basis, or there could be the opportunity to work fully remotely within the UK. It will report to the Delivery Manager.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Help to manage the Sporting News digital portfolio, both web, and native apps, to ensure a world-class digital experience
- Build strong working relationships with key stakeholders throughout the business
- Identify significant opportunities in what could be ambiguous areas and build consensus around roadmaps and how to evaluate the success
- Display strong leadership, organisational, and execution skills.
- Identify significant opportunities, and drive product vision, strategies, and roadmaps in the context of broader organisational strategies and goals
- Identify significant product, organisational, and process opportunities and drive them to fruition
- Incorporate data, research, and market analysis to inform product strategies, roadmaps and to influence others
- Direct cross-functional delivery teams so that they have a clear understanding of the vision and roadmap
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- You will be an experienced Product Manager, with applicable digital product experiences such as Sports, Media, Gaming, or Entertainment
- Experience conducting user research and transforming the analysis into solutions and recommendations
- Ability to analyse data and metrics, draw conclusions and turn these into product solutions
- Experience working within a globally distributed team
- Adept at defining product capabilities and breaking these down into backlogs of well-formed user stories
- Skilled at communicating with clients, stakeholders, and end-users with varying levels of technical knowledge
- Experienced negotiator with the ability to handle conflicting constraints
- The ability to lead and influence at all levels
- Open to international travel, as necessary
- Strong attention to detail
- Skilled problem solver
NOT ESSENTIAL BUT GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- A passion for sports
- Experience with Content and Identity Management Systems
- An understanding of UX in the context of web and app development
- An understanding of Ad technology, E.g. GAM, Amazon TAM
- Experience working within data protection regulations (e.g. GDPR) and related CMP tools
- Experience working with third-party data to enhance the product experience
- Experience with gaming products
- 25 days annual leave yearly entitlement
- Buy or sell up to 5 days of annual leave
- Carry over 5 days of annual leave to Q1 the following year
- Flexible working arrangements
- Choose to work with a brand-new MacBook or Dell
- Pension Salary Exchange
- Annual salary reviews
- Death in service cover
- 3-months maternity or adoption leave at 100% pay
- 5 days of bereavement leave